Saturday 24 May 2014

Dinotopia , First Flight - 20th Anniversary Edition

Dinotopia , First Flight - 20th Anniversary Edition

by James Gurney




Although this volume is the 20th anniversary edition of the title , and is part of a series of books , I have to admit that the world of Dinotopia was a new one to myself , but one in which I immersed myself and found lots of enjoyment.


The book is beautifully illustrated by James Gurney , and for me it was the illustrations that brought the story alive . At times I found the combination of robots , dinosaurs and humans in a fantasy world all a bit too much to comprehend , but the artwork brought life to the tale to such an extent that one cannot imagine the tale without it .


The story revolves around Gideon Altaire , who is studying at flight school on the island of Poseidos. A chance meeting with an injured dinosaur , Razzamult , informs him that an attack is about to go ahead on the Dinotopian mainland. Needless to say , this marks the beginning of a quest for Gideon.


The tale is enjoyable , although not always easy to understand , but I found myself reading it in approximately an hour . Being the 20th anniversary edition , it includes a wealth of bonus material - the best for me were the additional artist sketches.


All in all , this was an amazing insight into the world of  dinotopia for me :)


Buy This Book


Author's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment