Saturday 24 May 2014

A Freshman Survival Guide for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders

The Stuff Nobody Tells You About

by Haley Moss




I really wish I had this book when I went to university . Back in 1990 , when I first went to university as a then undiagnosed aspie , I found myself pretty much out of my depth and left to my own devices , which tended not to work out . I drank too much , as a means of trying to be more social , which had long term negative effects in the end . Living by myself for the first time in my life , I coped as best I could , but in hindsight I have to admit that I really couldn't look after myself , and I was a bit of a mess in more ways than one . My grades suffered as I couldn't bear to go to classes or lectures , but I still got a degree in the long run . That was how not to do it , and this book acts as a guide for autistic college students in how to get by and succeed in university / college life.


Haley Moss is a 19 year old undergraduate in Florida , and shares her experiences and know how . This is a very enjoyable and thought provoking book , and is an essential read for any potential student with an autism spectrum disorder . The time you spend at college or university is one of the most valuable in your life , so this book helps you understand what is going on all around you - what to expect on a daily basis on campus , how to deal with dorm life and meeting new people . As Haley has an autism spectrum disorder , she fully understands what problems we face on campus and addresses these issues in a helpful manner.


I am based in the UK , so some details and terms she describes are more suitable for the American education system , but these differences are not to the extent whereby an international student would not gain valuable assistance.


This book is due for release on June 21st , just in time for any aspiring students with autism to get a copy for themselves and start getting prepared for college life.


Publisher's Website


Author's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment